It’s possible to print a document, and have it not actually come out of the printer until you go and release it.
This article covers using Secure Printing with the HP 4015 printer.
Printing to an HP 4015
1. From the Print dialog, click on the third drop-down menu (it will have different names, depending on the program you’re currently using).
2. Select “Job Storage” from the list of options. It’s the last option on the list.
3. Where it says “Mode”, change the setting to “Stored Job”.
4. Check the box for “Use PIN to Print”. Enter a 4-digit number. This number will be required to print the document on the destination printer.
5. Change the User Name and Job Name if you wish. These will be visible when you retrieve the job from the printer.
6. Press the “Print” button. Your document has been sent to the printer, but will not be printed until you visit the printer to release it.
7. Go to the printer.
8. On the front of the printer, press the OK button.
9. You’ll be shown several menus. You want “RETRIEVE JOB”. Press the down arrow, and then the OK button.
10. You’ll be shown a list of usernames (remember, we entered this in Step 5?). Select yours and press OK.
11. You’ll then be asked to select what task you want to perform. Select “Secure Printing” (there may only be that option) and press OK.
12. Next, you’ll be asked what you want to do with the document, print it or delete it. Assuming you still wish to print it, select “PRINT” and press the OK button.
13. This is where you enter your PIN number. Remember that from Step 4? Enter the number using the number pad on the front of the printer.
14. Be sure you’ve entered all 4 digits (or whatever length, from 1 to 4, that you chose). Once you’re done, press the OK button.
15. You’ll be asked how many copies you want to make of the document. Enter the number you want, and press the OK button.
Your document should come out of the printer at this point. Success!
Maintained by the IT Help Desk - Last revised 3/7/16